Scottish Gas Uddingston Community Partnership
Last updated: 4.04pm, Tuesday 22nd March 2016
Scottish Gas have been working along side us for a while now providing volunteers and employability links which make a huge difference to the lives of our service users. As part of their Community Partnership our Hamilton & Viewpark projects were invited along.
Ed Morrison (Assistant Project Manager, Hamilton) and Anne Rodwell (Project Manager, Viewpark) attended with Billy and Logan from our Hamilton project and Elaine Mullan (Project Worker).
They met and chatted with Michael McMahon MSP, who was very happy to hear the progress the service users had made in their lives. Billy was telling him about his new job he will be starting shortly.
Douglas O'Neil, Head of Customer Services at Scottish Gas Services introduced the event and walk round with the MSP.
The partnership aims to encourage and improve reading with children at an early stage, and build career aspirations within the South Lanarkshire community by working with Scottish Business in the Community, local schools and community groups.
The ultimate aim is to help encourage young people (and their families) to create positive goals for their future.
Scottish Gas volunteers will support the groups and schools involved in the partnership which include:
• Uddingston Grammar
• Muiredge Primary School
• Blue Triangle, which supports and accommodates vulnerable people
• Age UK
• Lanarkshire mental health association
• Shelter crisis unit
• Hamilton Foodbank
• St Mary's Episcopal Church, Hamilton.
The community programmes will include:
• Muiredge Primary weekly paired reading sessions and energy education workshops
• Uddingston Grammar ‘careers lab’ scheme
• ‘Careers Ready’ mentoring and employability sessions
• Working with Blue Triangle’s young people to bring Christmas spirit, increase confidence and employment opportunities
• Energy Gameshows running across local community groups
• Adopting a Shelter shop and running crisis workshops
• Supporting the Hamilton Foodbank through donations.
It was a great event and we thank Scottish Gas for inviting us along.
You can see more pictures from the day on our Facebook page.